Here are 48 FUN FACTS about the Super Bowl as they get ready to play Super Bowl 48 at Metlife Stadium.
1) Super Bowl VI is the coldest in history, played at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans. It was 39 degrees at kickoff.
2) “Up With People” has performed at 4 Super Bowl halftime shows – that’s the most for any entertainer or group.
3) The Denver Broncos have lost four Super Bowls – that’s tied for the most losses with three other teams.
4) The Seattle Seahawks are one of ten teams who have appeared in a Super Bowl, but have never won.
5) Each of the last four Super Bowl MVPs has been a quarterback. In all, quarterbacks have won 26 Super Bowl MVPs.
6) If the Seahawks win, Pete Carroll will become the third coach to win a Super Bowl and an NCAA Championship.
7) The Super Bowl matches the two No. 1 playoff seeds for only the 2nd time in the past 20 years.
8) Peyton Manning is trying to win his 2nd championship in his brother’s home stadium.
9) Eli Manning won his 2nd championship in the place Peyton once called home.
10) Bruno Mars is his stage name. His father gave him the nickname Bruno and he added the Mars for pizzazz
11) Super Bowl Sunday is the 2nd largest day for U.S. food consumption after Thanksgiving Day
12) Denver’s Knowshon Moreno is the all-time leading scorer in New Jersey high school football history
13) 3 Denver players are from New Jersey: Mike Adams, Knowshon Moreno and Robert Ayers.
14) Denver safety Mike Adams says he’ll walk home to Paterson, New Jersey if the Broncos win.
15) 1.25 billion chicken wings will be eaten on Super Bowl Sunday
16) 18 Super Bowls have been won by the team that hails from the city with the lower unemployment rate
17) A 30-second Super Bowl ad is going for about $4 million. That’s $133,333.33 per second.
18) Blitz and Miles are mascots for the Seahawks and Broncos, created four months apart in the late 1990s.
19) Seattle and Denver are nearly identical in population, but Seattle’s 634,535 edges Denver’s 634,265.
20) A Seahawk actually is an osprey.
21) Denver is considered the home team and will wear orange jerseys.
22) It’s the 3rd time both nicknames in the game are animals. (Bears-Colts in 07 and Broncos-Falcons in 99)
23) 26 percent (including one in three football fans) say they pray to God to help their team.
24) New Jersey State Police will have more than 500 officers at MetLife Stadium
25) Opera singer Renee Fleming will croon the National Anthem. She debuted with the Seattle Opera 20 years ago.
26) There has never been overtime in a Super Bowl, nor has there been a shutout.
27) Denver’s horse mascot, Thunder, weighs about 900 pounds – about as much as three offensive lineman.
28) Seattle’s cheerleading squad is the Sea Gals
29) #SB49 is at the University of Phoenix Stadium on Feb. 1, 2015. It will probably be warmer.
30) The Broncos have more than 458,000 Twitter followers while the Seahawks have over 415,000. Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman leads players with the most followers at more than 694,000.
31) Richard Sherman was the Salutatorian of his high school class, finishing with a 4.2 grade-point average.
32) Broncos backup quarterback Brock Osweiler is 6-foot-8, which ties him for tallest quarterback in NFL history with former Seahawk Dan McGwire.
33) Denver has played in six Super Bowls; Seattle, one
34) Broncos QB Peyton Manning set records for both passing yards in a season (5,477) and passing touchdowns in a season (55) in 2013
35) The Pittsburgh Steelers hold the record for the most Super Bowl titles, with six. The San Francisco 49ers and Dallas Cowboys are tied for second with five each.
36) Super Bowl Sunday is the second-largest day for consumption of food and drink for Americans, behind Thanksgiving Day.
37) Tickets for the inaugural Super Bowl were sold for $6 but the price increases have outpaced inflation and the face value for tickets this year range between $500 and $2,600.
38) Over 700,000 footballs are produced annually for official NFL use and 72 of them are used for the Super Bowl
39) One 30-second commercial aired during the Super Bowl costs at least $2,800,000
40) When it comes to watching the Super Bowl, nine out of 10 watchers are going to be at a home either their house or someone else’s. That’s a lot of Super Bowl parties.
41) Broncos QB Peyton Manning set records for both passing yards in a season (5,477) and passing touchdowns in a season (55) in 2013
42) The Denver defense allowed just one running back to eclipse the 100-yard mark in this season. Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch has reached that total five times, including both playoff games
43) Nearly one-third of U.S. adults are likely to bet on the big game with men outnumbering women who decide to put some cash on the line. But be warned: 92% of those surveyed said they’ve actually lost money gambling on the Super Bowl in the past.Nearly one-third of U.S. adults are likely to bet on the big game with men outnumbering women who decide to put some cash on the line. But be warned: 92% of those surveyed said they’ve actually lost money gambling on the Super Bowl in the past. (Couponcabin.com)
44) It’s not just the pizza delivery guys who will be ringing doorbells. It turns out that roughly 48 million Americans will order takeout or delivery food from a restaurant instead of cooking up grub at home. (National Restaurant Association)
45) Get your jacket and scarf ready because Super Bowl Sunday is the most popular grilling day of winter with 62% of owners firing up the grill even if it means they have to shovel a path to get to it. (Hearth, Patio & Barbecue Association)
46) In the Super Bowl coin toss HEADS has hit 24 times and TAILS has been landed on 23 times
47) The NFC has won 25 of the 47 Super Bowl’s including 13 in a row from 1985-1997
48) Americans will consume an estimated 50 million cases of beer on the day.